Thursday, July 07, 2005

Podcast crisis averted

Yesterday I met with my management on the issue of podcasting conversations with students. We discussed the matter and came to the conclusion that there was a misunderstanding on the subject, there was no intent to infringe on my freedom of speech and that I will be allowed to podcast conversations with students. I am going to increase the seperation between what I am doing in terms of blogging and podcasting and the work I do as a non-faculty staff member employed in the Academic Technology Department at San Jose State University. I think this is the right and ethical thing to do.

Ways I will increase separation include using more disclaimers and not conducting any podcast conversations close to the physical area where I work, without clearing it with management first. I have no desire to become a cause celeb or cause undo controversy. I appreciate the respect for my freedom of speech, understand the fact that this is uncharted waters and am sensive to the reality that some folks, at SJSU and elsewhere, may not understand what and why I am doing what I am doing. I hope those people listen to my podcasts and the conversations going on here and elsewhere on the Internet. This has been a Cluetrain moment.

Edupodder is back talking!

No comments: