Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Crime on the web

Perepetrator vandalizing railroad car

New Media Used to Show Off Crime
One of the most disturbing things to me is the criminals who are using Web 2.0 technologies as a way to showcase their commission of crimes and the companies that showcase this content. I am all for the use of new media to report on crime, but not to showcase the commission of it. Here we see a perpetrator committing vandalism on private property. As a victim of crime myself I would be really irate if criminals who committed a crime against me recorded it and glorified it on YouTube. In my opinion, by publicizing the commission of crimes perpetrators collude with the Web 2.0 sites to glorify and lend legitimacy to the commission of crimes. Should there be a law against Web 2.0 sites like this profiting from the posting of videos by criminals? Yes, I think there should be.

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

No comments: