Thursday, August 03, 2006

Web 2.0, BlogHer and friend's suicide

Recent suicide reminder of top priorities
At the recent BlogHer conference I met a lot of great people and heard a lot of great conversations about blogging, global audiences and the importance of engaging in the global conversation. This is all great and compelling stuff. This is well worth the time of folks to get involved in. I know: it is fun, seductive and important.

Like many of my geek friends I spend a lot of time doing this stuff. I blog, I podcast and I read blogs and listen to podcasts. But we have to be our own controls, we have to monitor our own time, because while we have all this exciting, important and fun new stuff in our lives we still have the same number of hours in a day. Time spent doing this means we are spending less time on something else. In my opinion it is vital that we not get so seduced by all this that we do not start to neglect giving enough attention to our family and friends. They have to be our first time priority! This message has to get to new bloggers. Keep your priorities straight!

Sometimes little danger signs can be missed when we are distracted by something exciting. Then, if something happens, sometimes it is too late to go back and make amends later. I lost a friend (and a fellow bicyclist) to suicide. I wish now I had been paying more attention to her state of mind, spent more time talking with her when I knew she was hurting and maybe spent less time on my interests. But now, it is just too late.

Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments: