The EPUB (short for electronic publication) format is evolving. The next iteration of EPUB is called EPUB3, by Liza Daly. Listen here to her presentation at the O'Reilly Tools of Change Frankfurt 2010 conference on October 5, 2010.
According to Daly, topics covered in the talk include:
- The current state of the EPUB3 working groups and overall schedule.
- Enhancements to worldwide language support, including vertical text.
- Native multimedia and HTML5 video/audio.
- Interactivity, and the UI and accessibility challenges it imposes.
- Improved styling and layout via CSS3 and media-query.
Listen here to her presentation if you are interested in the direction this format is taking.
The International Digital Publishing Forum (IDPF) is a trade and standards organization dedicated to the development and promotion of electronic publishing and content consumption. The IDPF develops and maintains the EPUB content publication standard that enables the creation and transport of reflowable digital books and other types of content as digital publications that are interoperable between disparate EPUB-compliant reading devices and applications. EPUB is a free and open e-book standard by the IDPF. Files have the extension .epub.
Liza Daly, of Threepress Consulting Inc., is a member of the IDPF Board of Directors.