Monday, June 26, 2006

Mobile devices much more than just phones

Cameraphone pic: Giving water to thirsty cyclists!

As the intense heat and difficulty of the bike ride started taxing the ability of the support staff to get water and other aid to cyclists I could see the potential for real trouble. I used my camera phone to text out for help and then to photograph and blog the event!


Bike tour teaches me. Mobile devices are really getting there
My recent bicycle tour really taught me the power of portable devices. Using just my camera phone I was able to document and blog the event from my phone. Using the text messaging feature I was able to communicate with my son to get him to call for help, when I could not get a strong enough signal to be able to have voice communications. My family and friends were able to follow my trip on my family blog in almost real time. No, it wasn't perfect. But, it was a heck of a lot more functional than wi-fi and it all fit into my back pocket. No laptop or even tablet could do that! Mobile devices are really getting there. It is a very quiet revolution, but it is one we in education should be paying a lot more attention to.

Here is a link to posts on my family blog taken on my camera phone and posted to the Internet as the tour happened. All these photos will be in my blog's June 2006 Archive located here.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments: