Monday, August 27, 2007

Feeling Overrun

Counter counting down to retirement

The Battle of Dien Bien Phu
The Battle of Dien Bien Phu was the climactic battle of the First Indochina War between French Union forces of the French Far East Expeditionary Corps, and Vietnamese Viet Minh communist revolutionary forces. The battle occurred between March and May 1954, and culminated in a massive French defeat that effectively ended the war. In the opening phases of that battle the French observation outposts were in the process of being overrun by the Viet Minh. The last transmission from the French observers was them calling out for artillery strikes directly on their own positions.

It is so busy at my day job work, and I feel we are so under resourced to meet the need at my day job in the Academic Success Center at SJSU, that today I often thought of those French forward observers. Today I felt so overwhelmed I just felt like we were being overrun. I feel it is impossible to put in enough work to keep up with the staffing and the mission I am given. We are now further behind tonight than we were at the start of the day. Lately I just think of the thoughts of soldiers in a hopeless battle. Sometimes all you can hope for is to survive. I have this counter on my desktop, it counts the days and the hours and the minutes...

No comments: