Monday, September 10, 2007

Bikes on SJSU Campus?

No bicycles beyond this point sign

Bikes Belong: On The Road!
Harry Lichtbach is a League Cycling Instructor (LCI) with the League of American Bicyclists. On top of this he is Vice Chancellor of the Almaden Cycle Touring Club (ACTC) Academy. Lichtbach is an expert in bike safety and has trained thousands of cyclists how to ride safely. He is a current member of, and former president of, the Academic Senate at Evergreen Valley College (EVC). This is what he recently wrote to me on the subject of bicycle riding on campus:

Steve,
I ride my bike to EVC (sometimes), using a road around the edge of campus to get to my office. I am opposed to cycling through the core of the EVC campus.

When I was a student at UCSB, I road a bike and objected to not being allowed to ride through the campus. (UCSB actually allowed this, in bike lanes, at low speeds, with stop signs where the lanes crossed walking paths. I was objecting to the speed and stop signs. Hey, I was "younger" then.) In researching police accident records for a Public Speaking course assignment, trying to gather evidence for my position, I learned of the many bike/pedestrian collisions and changed my mind. Bikes are vehicles and belong with other vehicles, not pedestrians! This is what we teach in the ACTC Academy. Stay off sidewalks, off walkways, out of crosswalks, unless you are walking your bike!

Feel free to use this where you think appropriate, along with my LCI #.

Harry Lichtbach LCI #1047
Almaden Cycle Touring Club
San Jose, CA. USA

[More SJSU bike related pictures on Flickr]

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , ,

No comments: