Friday, March 18, 2005

Odeo, this is big for podcasting in education!

Yesterday, at I saw a presentation by Evan Williams of Odeo.

Who is Evan Williams?
According to Evan's blog, "Evan Co-founded and CEO'ed Pyra Labs, the creators of Blogger, in 1999, before coming to Google (with Blogger) in 2003."

What is Odeo?
The good news is: Odeo is a very user friendly tool to subscribe to and (here is the big part!) easily create . It is very accessible and again, easy to use. Also, according to Williams, on the road map for Odeo is access control lists. This means a professor could record his/her class, make a podcast of it, and only allow his/her students access to it. This is big folks, real big! Did I mention, it is EASY TO USE!

The bad news is: Mp3 files are the life blood of podcasts. Odeo is a great way to share mp3 files. It is possible for it to be used to share illegally copied music and that may cause some network admins to want to block it.

What is my opinion?
I think this is a killer app for education and that the good far out weighs the bad. I think we should be all over this. This is the kind of thing I went to Etech to see!

See also:
This blog!

No comments: