Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Make Vista Like Windows 2000


Make Vista Like Win2K
I just installed Vista on my Intel equipped MacPro. One thing I hate is operating systems that get in the way. I want to be anle to get to my applications fast! For doing that nothing for me beats the work flow made fast by the way the start button and menu was implemented in Windows 2000. I even like to emulate that behavior in Mac OS X. Windows XP deviated in large measure the fast to use Win 2K "classic" interface. Vista took the interface farther away in my opinion. But, you can get it back!

  1. Right-click on the Start button, select Properties, then choose Classic Start Menu. After doing this you get a Start menu that's composed primarily of cascading menus that lead to programs. But, it still is not labled Start. The next step will fix that.
  2. Right-click the desktop, select Personalize, and double-click Theme to choose the Windows Classic theme. This does away with much of Vista's (ugly) slickness and provides a Start button labeled "Start," like God and Bill intended.

If you take both of these steps Vista will have a decidedly old-school, Windows 2000-like "classic" flavor. Vista doesn't seem to have a way to make its Start menu behavior and other aspects of the OS behave more the way they do in Windows XP. But, since I do not like Windows XP's interface that much this is fine with me.

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

No comments: