Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Blogging from Educause WRC

I am at the Educause Western Regional Conference, tomorrow I am going to be presenting here on Podcasting and speaking about Tablet PC computing in education. The audience is Instructional Technologists from Colleges and Universities throughout the western United States. It is at the Hyatt in San Francisco. The opening session is at 12:45 this afternoon, but I got here early and got oriented and registered. Then I went to lunch at an Italian Restaurant on Powell Street. I ate Panini and watched the cable cars trundle by. I am reading The Rise of the Creative Class by Richard Florida. This is an important book. In it he quotes Paul Romer who said, "the most important ideas are meta-ideas." Florida says these are, (again quoting Romer,) "ideas about how to support the production and transmission of other ideas."
This is why I think Emerging Technology and Podcasting (technologies based on RSS 2.0) is so important and disruptive of existing paradigms! That is exactly what it does!
By the way, did you listen to Clayton Christensen's talk? Yes, I know it is long. But, it is important! Please set aside an hour or so to do that. He is speaking to an Open Source convention and the principles he speaks of go right to the core of this emerging/disruptive technology. he even speaks about higher education and the impact of this technology on education.
This is time well spent! This is another gem from ITConversations.

No comments: