Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Don't do dynamic disks casually

Dynamic disk, wow that sounds like something I gotta have. Dynamic sounds much cooler than basic. Plus I can upgrade my "Basic" disk, under Windows 2000 and XP, to dynamic pretty easy. So, let's go dynamic! I did.

Big mistake! I wanted to expand my partition size of my now dynamic disk. I thought I could easily do so on a dynamic disk. But the "Manage Disk" Microsoft Management Console built into XP wouldn't allow me to do so because it was a boot disk and because it was formerly a basic disk. No problem, I thought, I will just use Partition Magic. Then I found out, that magic won't work on dynamic disks. So, what do I have to do now. Sad to say, erase my hard disk and reinstall.

My lesson, only use dynamic if you need dynamic and be sure you know what you are doing!

No comments: