Monday, June 16, 2008

Photography: Analog and Digital

I have an old Nikon F (as well as other cameras including digital.) I usually shoot black and white in my F. My analog (film) work is serious to me even though I might only shoot a roll of film a day when I am analog. I process my own B&W.

My analog photographic process is contemplative. I am manually focusing and thinking about focus, light, time, depth of field and exposure in a very different way.

Analog is as different to me as reading a novel is from reading a magazine. When I shoot digital I am in a very different space.

Digital, to me, is a reactive process, like touching a hot stove. I see, I fire. When I am thinking digital, the moment is everything, there is rarely time to think. I just feel; feel and fire my camera.

Technorati Tags: , , ,

No comments: