Saturday, June 16, 2007

I am back

McDermmit Nevada

A day on the road
I did not intend to do the drive all in a day, but I did. It is around 700 miles from San Jose to Boise. I made a couple of stops on the way out (including a stop at Scooters of Boise) but I was on the road by around 11am mountain time (ten pacific time.) I had not slept well the night before, anticipating the drive. But, once I got going I drove like an astronaut (except for the diapers part.) The first part of the drive is on non-freeway highways, like US 95. This road is two lane trough some pretty rugged (some would call it desolate) country. Once you get to Winnemucca Nevada it is freeway the whole way.

I was home before 11pm Thursday, including some stops to prevent highway tunnel vision, that is not bad. At first the cats did not want to have anything to do with me, but now I cannot keep Pixel out of my lap. The best part is seeing Susie again. It is good to be home.

About the journey, Robyn Davidson in her wonderful book "Tracks" said, "journeys never end they merely change form." So looking back on this journey I wonder, is it over? Are true journeys really ever over or do they so become a part of us that they change us and everything that comes after is a continuation of them.

No comments: